The Walsingham Chapel windows were made and designed by the renowned firm of Clayton & Bell to tell the history of the shrine at Walsingham from the date of its foundation in 1061 to its destruction at the reformation. Scenes included visits by ancestors of the Duke of Norfolk, who of course financed the building of the Cathedral. During WWII the windows were severely damaged. They were subsequently remade and the subject matter updated.
The topmost scene depicts pilgrims drinking at the Holy Wells of Walsingham.
Underneath, the famous statue of Our Lady of Walsingham is being burnt alongside the statue of Our Lady of Ipswich, whilst Thomas Cromwell and Latimer, the Bishop of Worcester, look on. This act is alleged to have taken place at Chelsea in 1538.
Originally, the image at the base of the window depicted a visit of King Henry VII to the shrine in 1487. This has been replaced a scene from August 1934 when Cardinal Bourne and Bishop Lawrence Youens led the Bishops of England and Wales, together with 10,000 pilgrims to the Slipper Chapel and declared it to be the National Shrine of Our Lady for Roman Catholics in England. To the right kneels the rector of St John, Monsignor Squirrel, next to him is his ‘rebus’.