The Walsingham Chapel windows were made and designed by the renowned firm of Clayton & Bell to tell the history of the shrine at Walsingham from the date of its foundation in 1061 to its destruction at the reformation. Scenes included visits by ancestors of the Duke of Norfolk, who of course financed the building of the Cathedral. During WWII the windows were severely damaged. They were subsequently remade and the subject matter updated.
At the top of the window we see Lady de Faverches, who after praying that she might undertake some special work in honour of Our Lady, dreamt that the Virgin Mary and angels accompanied her spirit to Nazareth.Here she was shown the house where the Annunciation occurred and asked to build a replica at Walsingham.
In the scene below Sir Geoffrey de Faverches, who founded an Augustinian Priory at Walsingham (c1150), is pictured holding a plan. He is accompanied by his clerk Edwy, who superintended the work, and two builders.
At the base, we see a pilgrimage to the Shrine by the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk, who are shown as part of a group at the Slipper Chapel at Houghton Le Dale. They are pictured removing their footwear before walking the last mile to the shrine, an act which was traditionally undertaken by all pilgrims.