Also known as the Queen’s Window, the original was completely destroyed on 29th April 1942 (during the Baedeker Raids) when a high explosive bomb fell on the garage opposite. After the war it was remade by John Hardman Studios to the original design with a few minor differences, including the omission of one small panel showing boy martyrs and the relocation of another, which illustrated the life of the Virgin, to NT East 1 (next to the Walsingham Chapel). Additionally a small panel was set in the window recording the destruction of the original window and commemorating its reinstatement in 1952.
The architectural features of this tall three-light window were originally designed by the Duke of Norfolk, who of course financed the building. The main themes running through the main panels are those of holy women coupled with aspects of pilgrimage. Additionally the small medallions contain images of East Anglian saints.
The Central Light: The window is dominated by the central figure of the enthroned Virgin Mary holding the boy Jesus, the King of Kings. Above is an image of Judith, the ‘Jewish Maiden’, holding the severed head and sword of Holofernes, whilst below are kings and queens on a pilgrimage.
Left Light: The upper scene is of Queen Esther interceding to save her people from death, in the centre we see the adoring figures of the three wise men who were the first pilgrims. At the base beggars and the sick are making their own pilgrimage.
Right Light: The upper panel depicts the Queen of Sheba with King Solomon, she is accompanied by a page carrying gifts. The middle panel shows the shepherds from the nativity whilst below we again see kings and queens on a pilgrimage.